Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cookies - Melting moments and cocoa pinwheels

My kids saw me flipping through my bakery recipe book and has requested to have this "cherry in the middle" biscuit to be baked. I have baked this cookie before this blog is born. After some consideration, I decide to bake the cookies with the kids. I have also added another type of cookie into the job list since the instructions look pretty easy to me.

I started off with this cocoa pinwheel biscuit. It is originally a mocha pinwheel but I did not put in coffee essence. I like this recipe because it only involves mixing, and two sets of dough, one for each kid, no fighting. However, I am a slow coach, so for the whole saturday morning, we only managed to do up the dough into a roll and no time to bake it. As this dough is freezer friendly, I simply leave it in the freezer and go to the kids' enrichment class.

We are finally free to bake the biscuit at around 9pm and since its so late, I did all the rest of the work (including the "cherry in the middle" biscuit) all by myself.

The process of making these two types of biscuits is not difficult and I enjoyed it. I must remember to sandwich the dough for the pinwheel biscuit in between two plastic sheets for easy handling. No sticking to roller and easy peel off.

The recipes made 18 cookies each. The "cherry in the middle" biscuit (is called "melting moments" in the cookbook) are all consumed, however, my boy commented that the pinwheel biscuit is too hard, so I have quite alot of these left. My hubby says that the biscuits are nice and I am pretty happy with this round of cookie making.

I hope to try my hands on some CNY cookies .. but meantime, I got to finish hiding all my messy stuff so that the house look presentable for CNY.

Here are the pictures of the cookies.





Recipe time!

Here's the recipe for the mocha pinwheel cookie that I promised SSB. SSB, sorry for the delay.

1 hour preparation, 20 minutes baking, makes 18.

Vanilla layer :

50g/2oz butter or block margarine, softened
25g/1oz caster sugar
75g/3oz plain flour
A few drops of vanilla essence

Mocha layer :
50g/2oz butter or block margarine, softened
25g/1oz caster sugar
75g/3oz plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp coffee essence

Method:
1. Place the ingredients for the two doughs into separate bowls. Bring the ingredients for the vanilla dough together and bind to a soft dough with a tablespoon of water. Wrap and freeze for 15 minutes.

2. Bring the mocha ingredients together and bind to a soft dough. Wrap and freeze for 15 minutes.

3. Roll out each dough to a rectangle 18 x 25cm / 7 x 10 inches. Brush the mocha dough with a little water, then place the vanilla dough on top.

4. Roll both doughs together like a swiss roll form the narrow end. Wrap the dough and chill for 30 minutes or freeze until firm.

5. Preheat the oven to 180 Dc/350F/Gas 4. Grease two baking sheets. Cut the dough into 18 slices each 6cm/1/4 inch wide.

6. Place on the baking sheets and space well apart. Bake for 15-20 minutes until firm and pale golden. Cook on the trays for 2 minutes to firm, then transfer on to a wire rack.


The end. :-)

8 comments:

Small Small Baker said...

Hi Sherlyn, your pinwheel cookies look so pretty! I wanted to do this for a long time but always put off trying it. Which recipe book are you using? :)

sherlyn said...

Hi Hi SSB. Been busy cleaning up the house and did not use PC for two nites.

Pretty? They are the best liao lor .. the rest cant be seen at all. kekeke. I used a recipe found in the book by Ann Nicol, called "Complete Cooking BAKERY" .

You want the recipe?

Small Small Baker said...

Yes! You can take your time to post the recipe. I don't think I will bake it very soon with so many cny goodies. No hurry.

Wishing you and your family an Ox-picious New Year! :)

sherlyn said...

ok, will post it next week, cos am gog into msia for CNY. I hope to try bake CNY cookies when i m bak .. so will be looking out for your post :)

Thanks for your wishes. I also wish you and family, a very Happy New Year.

Aimei said...

Hi Sherlyn

Happy Chinese New Year! All the best for the coming year ahead. :)

Talita said...

This cookies are perfect! I'd love to have one of these cookies!

sherlyn said...

Hi Aimei,

A very happy belated (?) Ox-picious new year to you and family. Sorry .. still not so on in using PC cos been lacking of it for a week when I am in msia.

Hope to see more of your bakes in this coming year too :-).

Will drop by your blog soon.

sherlyn said...

Hi Talita,

Thanks for dropping by. The cookies in the shots are the best of the lot .. imagine .. only a few best out of the whole lot hahaha ...

Visited your blog too .. luckily you have english version, else I really will have problem reading .. you made lovely bakes too .. they look even more lovely with decorations in the photos.

Will drop by your blog more often.

Search This Blog

Visitors since 7th June 2008

Total Pageviews

Followers

Note to self

Blog template changed and blog customised on 20th October 2011