Saturday, March 19, 2011

Yellow Yellow Ugly Fellow

It is now 2.30am, Saturday morning, in the week of school holiday. I have just finish blog hopping and finally willing to write about my latest bake that I did last week.

I have been itching to bake for a long long time. My last bake is in December! However, I am really lazy and  I am still adjusting to new routine (My girl went to P1 this year) .. blah blah blah... ok so I want easy, fast .. so I went to my shelves and took the "Easy Stir n Bake Cakes" book. I remember I have the cheese (since Nov! and yet not expired and not mouldy *phew*) so I settled for "Pineapple Cheesecake". I revisited my first try, knowing how my kids had liked it, I went ahead with full confidence.

However, I had problem melting my cheese into smooth and creamy state, but luckily that did not affect the cake at all. I cannot explain why the cheese has tiny lumps thou. Beside this difference, I also must note that I did not have enough cream cheese but since slice cheese can make into lovely cheesecake, I am sure there is no harm making up the difference with a slice of sliced cheese. I did worry about the saltiness of sliced cheese, but what can I do then? :-) I also deliberately reduce the sugar (since the pineapple should be sweet coming from a can) and oil. I reduce both by 20g.

Although there wasn't much hiccups during preparation, the cake rose unevenly in the oven, so unlike the first try.

 


Was quite upset by it since it is suppose to be fail proof. However, the end result is so well received by my kids, as expected.
The cake is gone in day 2 and the boy make a big fuss as he only has two pieces in that 2 days.

I took a few photos (cos I also love photography) even though it is a simple cake so now I had problem choosing one to be place here. (Note : Please do not expect good pictures, cos loving to take doesn't means I can do it well now.)

Shall spare myself the agony of looking at those pictures (now at 3.09am) by putting only just one.

A piece that looks like coming from a perfect loaf.


















As this cake has pineapple, I would like to give my support to a challenge started by SSB and now hosted by Jess.

For the challenge and convenience, I am posting the details of recipe here.

Ingredients

180g cream cheese
120g caster sugar
90ml corn oil
3 eggs
130g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
170g canned pineapple (diced)

Method

1) Grease and line a 10cm x 20cm (4 x 8 inches) loaf pan. Preheat oven to 170dC.
2) Stir cream cheese and sugar over simmering water until soft and smooth. Remove from heat. Stir in oil and eggs until well combined.
3) Combine flour, baking powder and soda. Fold into cheese mixture together with pineapple dices until well blended.
4) Spoon mixture into prepared pan. Bake in oven for 40 - 45 minutes or until cooked. Stand for 10 minutes and turning on to wire rack to cool.



Recipe from Kevin Chai - Easy Stir 'n Bake Cakes


I am submitting this entry to this month's Aspiring Baker#5 : Fruity March (March 2011).

6 comments:

Happy Homebaker said...

As long as your kids love it, we don't have to worry too much about the appearance. I have a few hiccups even making simple chocolate chip muffins...I mistaken baking powder with baking soda...so the muffins erupted like volcanoes in the oven (luckily I used a tray to hold the paper cups). My kids were happily eating the warm chocolaty 'lava' once the muffins were out of the oven ;)

Small Small Baker said...

I'm so happy that you have finally joined Aspiring Bakers. I have not been setting a good example cos I missed the event a few times. Still have not done anything for this month's theme yet. I will be back baking maybe after 1 or 2 months, hopefully. :)

Aimei said...

I have not tried pineapple cheesecake before but I'm sure this is good! :)

sherlyn said...

HHB, perhaps kids are kids, easily satisfied? keke. Anyway, you said it right .. as long as it looks edible and is tasty in their opinion, they will eat it. :)

SSB, I am also very happy that I finally has something to submit. It is rather stressful for me to conform to a deadline thou the challenge last one month. It is so coincident that I have a fruit in this cake. Don't worry abt missing it a few times, cos I am sure the rest will not blame you.

Aimei, I can only say it is tasty in my kids' opinion. My friend said pineapple and cheese is exotic hahaha. If you do not mind the oil and the egg, then do give it a try since it is a minimal washing job. :-)

Thanks to you all for dropping by again. :)

ann low said...

Hi Sherlyn, thank you for visiting at my blog. It is so nice to know you and this pineapple cheesecake sound so good and refreshing. Would like to make this of these days as I love cheesecake too :)

sherlyn said...

Hi Anncoo,

Thanks for dropping by my blog too. This cheesecake is not quite like the normal cheese cake that we eat outside. It taste much like normal cake .. erm just don't know how to describe but guess you will be able to do a better job in description after you have made it :)

Search This Blog

Visitors since 7th June 2008

Total Pageviews

Followers

Note to self

Blog template changed and blog customised on 20th October 2011